Thursday, April 13, 2006

Gummadikai Vadiyalu (Ash Pumpkin/Winter Melon Fritters)

We were pleasantly surprised to find 'Ash Pumpkin' being sold at our Indian store and the thought of having fresh 'vadiyalu' made us happy :) Soon there was a phone call home (MIL) and I learn one more recipe !
The Ingredients:Firstly, I cut the gummadikai , salted it and hung the pieces in a cheesecloth overnight. (Like for paneer). Also soaked urad dal separately. The next day into the blender go soaked urad dal,green chilli, hing and salt. After it gets to the consistency of idli batter I transfer it into a bowl, mix the drained gummadikai pieces.
Both of us like to eat the batter mixed with hot rice and ghee. So kept some aside and the made the rest into vadiyams. :) I'll fry these in the evening for dinner.
To Note :
1. Wash the pumpkin thoroughly, esp the skin.
2. Deseed the pumpkin.
3. Little urad dal goes a long way, since the batter is fluffy.
4. The batter made into lumps and spread on a wet cloth.
5. Fry the vadiyams in oil the same day .



8 comments:

Vineela said...

Hey ,
I LOVE THOSE GUMMADIKAYA VADIYALU.
My mom & grandmother used to do in summer.Nice it will vadiyala pulusu with onions.
Vineela

Anonymous said...

hi..

loved ur recipes and pictures.
looking forward to more exciting and detailed recipes.

Saritha

SNP said...

Hi Vineela,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I too like the vadiyalu, esp ones which are only a day old.Yeah, the pulusu tastes awesome.

Anonymous,
Thanks for your words. And I'll certainly try to write detailed recipes.

SNP said...

Oops...I addressed Saritha as anonymous! Sorry.

Tanuja said...

Hi snp,

abba gumadikaya vadiyalu chana bhagunayi:)

SNP said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SNP said...

Hi snp
followed your comment on my blog.i was reading through your ash pumpkin fritter post where u had mentioned about eating the urad batter with rice & ghee, do u cook the batter before mixing it with ghee & rice or is it raw? if cooked can u share the recipe on ur blog?bye
paati

Hi Paati,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I din't cook the batter. We ate it raw. Though we shouldn't overdo eating it, since it might give a tummy ache. It is an acquired taste :)
Hope this answers your question.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

photos itself giving details of preparation wonderful reciep